Saturday, October 9, 2010

So... I've retired from Facebook...

I'll start by saying it's time. I've been thinking about making this move for some time. Just ask my friend Mandilyn. I've come to a crossroads in my life & facebook isn't part of it. Here are some reasons for my leaving... (Before I go forward though, I hope what I say doesn't hurt any feelings or alienate any one. I'm not trying to do that. These are my thoughts & this is my blog. If I do, I sincerely apologize. You are my friends & love you.)

1. I'm spending way to much time with it. It's not giving me anything in return. I've come to realization that the hours spent on FB; I could be studying more, (or reading, writing a letter, playing catch, shooting hoops, cooking up a meal, taking a walk, listening to record, taking a nap, cleaning my room, doing laundry, shaving (Nah... See below.),
counting my change, doing my online banking, making a phone call, writing a book... You get my drift.). I've made some goals when I started school & I feel FB is partially keeping me from my goals. One goal is to become a Huntsman Scholar. This is a program with in the business school. I get a semester paid, plus $1000 for expenses, and an intensive classroom environment. You spend a month on campus, a month in Europe visiting businesses, & another month discussing what we learned in Europe. I've never been to Europe & think this is a good way to get there. (Especially if it's paid.) I've got to have 3.5 GPA just to even qualify. I've got to push myself to get there. I want to challenge myself in school. Especially while I'm single, I feel my goals are accomplishable. (I'm not saying marriage won't stop this, but who knows.)

2. I feel it's become too much like high school for me. If you know me, high schooled sucked ass, & I'm lucky to be writing this right now. I don't need that feeling ever again. Socially, I'm not good at it. I'll never be. I kept my friends to about 100. Even with that, it's too many. Why am I friends with so and so? Why is this so important? People were taking my deletions too seriously. It's not that we're not friends; I just don't want to see threads from my crush that got married. Don't confront me outside the bookstore. That will alienate me towards you more than anything. To go with this, I was making this my social life. That's fine for some, but I know the reality. It's me, dinner & a movie for one. (Ask me about the dirty looks I got in El Toro.) Has been for awhile.

3. Religion & politics don't mix in my life. I'm LDS, & I struggle with my faith. I'm sorry. Recently a general authority said some things to make people angry. I won't say what, but I think we all know. Well, right after I was getting it from both sides on FB. People feel they have to say something about it. That's their right. I just don't think I need it from my "friends". I started hiding people that talk politics. I wanted to do this with religion, (especially this week) but I think I'd hurt peoples feeling if I did that. I didn't want to do that. Leaving was the lesser of two evils. I feel leaving will make me stronger in my faith. If you're my friend, I'm gonna love you for who ever you are.

4. I think FB is making me lose touch. It's stopped me from communicating. I'm gonna send more emails, read/ write more blogs, write more letters & postcards, send more packages, (Hopefully, get some in return.) & make more phone calls. Hopefully people like this.

I hope you all understand.

AND... HBD to Spencer...

See you in the future...

And remember...

2 comments:

Tori said...

Wish I had the guts to leave FB... Great seeing you at church today!

Melanie said...

Someone confronted you about their friend status on facebook? What the what is wrong with people?!
The politics and religion thing drives me nutso as well. A few people have had to be cut from my facebook team for those same offenses. Everybody, just relax already!