Sunday, September 19, 2010

My Big Bro Doug (Chopper)...




In December, I learned that my brother Doug (Chopper) had gotten engaged to be married. In June, I got a call that he & Niki had eloped in Truth & Consequences, New Mexico. I'll be honest I was a little bummed that I wasn't there to see it, but truthfully, I might do the same. (Sorry, Mom) Saturday, Doug & Niki celebrated themselves. It was held at the Museum of Natural History on the campus of my vaunted rival the University of Utah with the dinosaur fossils. They did it their way. Nothing was traditional. Earlier that day, Doug had mentioned that that's the way they wanted to to it. They had a DJ spinning records. (Both are avid collectors. Doug's partially why I caught the bug.) They had the band The Rubes play a big set of covers. The last, Doug got up and serenaded Niki with...



I will never hear this song & not think of that moment. (Side note... It was my Mom & Dad's first time ever hearing my brother sing with a band, & he's been doing it 18 years of my life.)

I've been going to SLC for a good portion of my life. It all started when I was a sophomore in high school & have been doing it ever since. Doug & I have been through some great times like the time we went to The Ramones in '96 (YES, those Ramones.) at Saltair. My first concert. Through the better part of high school, I hitched a ride with anyone I knew was going to SLC. Most the crowd I was around went to Confetti (Actual name) on Friday nights. I went & was dropped off at 27 Punk Street. Those trips saved my life. If I had stayed in G&T, I don't know if I'd be here right now. The morning at Kosta's down the street for breakfast. The many, many trips to the DI to find hidden gems. Seeing him play in his various bands: Decomposers, Wormdrive, Tommy Gun Killers, Hot Rocks, The Switch, & Blackhole. Now, he's all grown up...



Congrats to Niki & Doug!!! (Not actual wedding photo)

2 comments:

Kelsi {John, Jake, Georgia, Naomi, Alice} said...

i love it! congrats to niki & chopper!

Melanie said...

I haven't ever actually met most your family. Funny, I feel like I know them all. Bernie and Bernice and the whole bunch.
Congratulations to Chopper,Niki and the whole family!