Sunday, October 11, 2009

Time passing...

Sorry for the delay in things.  School has been a lot of work.  I'm physically, mentally, & emotionally drained.  A few things have happened, let's get you up to speed...  In no particular order...

1st:  I got to meet my "Man Crush" at Modest Mouse.  I went to see The Night Marchers.  Them & them alone.  (I'm music snob.  Hey, I paid my $40.)  John Reis is a hero   Anything he does turns to gold.  There isn't anything he's been apart of that I don't like.   He came over to the merch table while I was there.  I thanked him for everything & that he got me through a ruff time in my life.  Here's my favorite song...
 


2nd:  Homecoming...  I got to spend the majority of my time entrenched in Aggie activities.  Culminating in the football game.

3rd:  I got to see one of my Top Ten bands:  The Get Up Kids.  They returned from hiatus to celebrate the 10 Anniversary of Something to Write Home About.  This album means so much to me.  This album has linked me to some of my best friends, Aaron, Jason, Wade, Jon, Beaver, & Spencer.  But also, with my friend Drew, who's no longer with us.  We went down to SLC in 1999 & saw these men perform in the Basement of DV8 (Also, no longer with us.).  I could feel him there with Jason, Aaron, Mel, Ingrid & I.  Ingrid is another friend I adore greatly.  I could not look at her, or I would have balled my eyes out.  Just thinking about it, tears start to well up.



Imagine me singing & dancing the whole time.

4th:  Jason & I went to Sunny Day Real Estate.  Amazing!  Let's hope they stay together long enuff to put out another album.


5th:  I finished my Aggie Experience Passport.  What is this?  It's designed to get students out & about to activities on campus.  I've been to Science Unwrapped, The Blood Battle, Major Fair, & Autumn Voices.  I mention the last one specifically.  It was amazing.  I ran into a new friend TJ from Harlem, New York.  He mentioned this to me & thet he was performing.  AMAZING!  Imagine me in my seat bobbing my head.  I couldn't contain myself.  Well done.  I'll be going again & again.

6th:  I got to see & meet The Ettes.  Who, you ask?  Let me introduce you...



This is CoCo...  She's the singer & guitar player.  She was so nice.  After the set, I went to buy my merch.  (I pretty much buy merch at every show.  How do bands get to the next town?  A lot of it depends on the sale of merch.)  I started talking to the bass player & she comes out says, "What's your name?"  Uh...  "Tom"  "Hi Tom, I'm CoCo."  I'm smitten.  We talk for some time.  I mean my crush has developed from the time I pick up the Shake the Dust record at Amoeba.  It was crush at first sight.  Now, I think I own everything.  I may be missing some import stuff.


This is Jem...  He plays bass.  I talked to him first on January 28, 2009.  (It's my bros B-Day.  That's how I remember.)  So nice.  Seriously one of the coolest people.



And this is Poni...  The drummer.  She hits soooooo damn hard.  She's incredible.  Beautiful.  

Can you see why I'm a fan?  But they also rock.  I can't stop listening to their new album.  It's kicking my ass.

7th:  I head out to California on Thursday.  I'm so excited.  I've been waiting for this moment since August.  I can't believe it's here.  Get me to Disneyland STAT.  But along the way, Amoeba, The Ettes show, Kathy & MeMa.  More craziness than you can imagine.  But more than anything, I can't wait to see Lin, Mel, Norah, & Tommy AND John, Kelsi, Jake, Georgia, & the bun in the oven.  They are the true reasons for all my trips to California.  Oh, I better not forget my partner in crime every year, Mel Led!  Always so eager to go with me.  Thanks Mel.


2 comments:

Melanie said...

Tom! I am seriously teary eyed right now! I am counting the minutes until you two get here and have been for a while. I woke up Thursday morning and immediately thought to myself, " Oh why can't it be next Thursday already!?"
I am so glad you had a great homecoming week and have been to some good shows. There just isn't anything like good live music and good friends.

MissLed said...

Sorry, I'm a little behind at reading the blogs. That was such a fun trip! I'm so glad we got in some good hang out time with the Wildes, Meldrums, Walt and Mickey! Thanks for always heading up the trip planning Tom. It's always delightful! I wish we could go back right now!